📅July 3, 2019 👨💼 Nuri Yuri
Hello, this article is about Making a Fan Game under Pokémon SDK. It begins a serie of tutorials in english in order to help people using Pokémon SDK 🙂
If you prefer Video Tutorials, Buttjuice is making Video Tutorials about Making a Game under PSDK, here’s the playlist : [Watch on Youtube]
What is PSDK ?
Pokémon SDK (also know as PSDK or SDK) is a set of tools allowing you to make a 2D Pokémon Like Fan Game. It’s currently maintained by Nuri Yuri and some people in the French Community is helping to implement features in PSDK.
Why using PSDK while there’s Essentials ?
Well, PSDK is another way of doing the thing. What PSDK tries to do is providing a Kit that is using modern technologies while Essentials does everything wrong and reinvent the wheel because it’s using old technologies that doesn’t allow to do another way.
PSDK may probably have less feature (which is probably wrong btw) than Essentials but the development of PSDK is more intensive and open. While the last Essentials Update (v17) was done in 2017 (2 year ago) the last PSDK update was a week ago. Between the 25th December of 2018 and the 3rd July of 2019 PSDK got 32 updates.
You may think that 32 updates is a lot and it’s hard for the maker to follow but in fact that’s the complete opposite of how update are done under Essentials. Under PSDK to update you project you only click on a button & tada! You’re up-to-date!
Sometimes PSDK requires manual actions during the updates (when common events are updated or switch are updated) but most of the time you have nothing more to do than clicking this button.
PSDK also have something that makes the Games running under it way better than Games running under Essentials : It uses SFML (which uses OpenGL). This way PSDK runs in 60, 144 or even 240FPS (the game always process 60FPS for now because of the RPG Maker compatibility) and can go 1080p if you designed your game with the right native resolution. (A plugin will come later for Game that was made for 320×240 to turn then in 640×360 to allow 720p & 1080p).
What’s the PSDK features ?
- Time & Tint System (using virtual or real clock)
- Particle System (display animation on characters according to the terrain without using RMXP animations)
- Double & Online Battles (P2P)
- Running shoes
- Key Binding UI (F1)
- Berry System
- Online Trades (P2P)
- GTS (you need to add an external script)
Mapping & Event Making Features
- Shadow under events system
- Extended event info (using the event name)
- This feature allow the maker to specify various thing like the event graphics y offset, if the event display shadow or even if the event needs to display a sprite (optimization).
- SystemTags (Give more info about the terrain and allow specific interactions)
- Wild info System Tags (+Particles) : Tall Grass, Cave, Sea/Ocean, Pond/River, Sand, Snow etc…
- Mach Bike tiles (muddy slopes & cracked tiles)
- Accro Bike tiles (white rails & bunny hop rocks)
- Slopes (HGSS thing)
- Strairs (4G+ stairs)
- Bridges (With event support)
- Rapid water tiles (forcing direction) / Ice (sliding)
- Wet sand (Water particle on player)
- Dialog / Text Database allowing easier translation for the game using CSV format
- Special Warp fades (5G out->in & 3G transition)
- Weathers : Rain, Harsh sunlight, Sandstorm, Snow, Fog
- Premade common events : Strength, Dig, Fly, DayCare Hosts, Berry Trees, Dowsing Machine, Head Butt, Cut, Rods, Rock Smash, WaterFall, Flash, Whirlpool, Rock Climb, Teleport, Defog
- Voltorb Flip
- Ruins of Alph puzzle
How to get & install PSDK ?
- Join the Pokémon Workshop Discord (we’re French but English is allowed)
- Gently ask for the download access in #access_psdk (hello + please is required for the bot).
- Go to #windows and download the last full version.
- Go to #ruby-host and download the english version (it’s the database editor)
- Extract Pokémon SDK & Ruby Host in a World Writable folder (without any special chars like é ç or ö or stuff like that in the full path).
- Start the launcher & update PSDK (because the full archive aren’t always up-to-date).
- Enjoy using PSDK with RPG Maker XP.
In the next article I’ll put tutorials about how to use Pokémon SDK 🙂
For now, enjoy some screenshot of the PSDK UIs 🙂